The first step in the college admissions process is picking which colleges to apply to! In this episode, we talk about what a good, diversified list looks like. We define key terms: safety schools, target schools, and reach schools. We discuss how many schools to apply to and how to know if a school is right fit for you. There is a lot to think about. Do you want to go to a faith-based school? Do you want to go to a big school or a small school? There are so many factors to consider.
Please submit your comments and questions on our Contact Us form.
Read Michael’s Top 3 College List Mistakes. I’ll give you a teaser: (just picking Ivies, just picking “good” schools, and just picking for your parents)
- What a reach school is (2:53)
- What a target school is (3:26)
- What a safety school is (3:49)
- Michael’s high school achievements (6:24)
- Having diversity of potential schools (9:37)
- Bringing the phrase “hippy dippy” back (11:07)
- Be willing to attend schools on your list (11:50)
- How Gonzalez divides the top 10 schools into reach, target, & safety (13:38)
- Offending the 2 viewers in North Dakota (14:32)
- Why Michael applied to so many schools (16:11)
- Fee waivers (18:14)
- Why Gonzalez thinks the list should be around 10 (20:03)
- Gonzalez having a brain fart (22:52)
- Factors to consider when considering schools (26:14)
- Michael’s three school criteria categories (28:26)
- Now we just steal pdfs from the internet (30:06)
- There’s no right or wrong reason to attend a school (34:27)
- Michael’s “describe your dream school” activity (36:18)
- Using your college visits (37:30)
- Blooper (43:39)
Thanks to Vibe Mountain for the Intro and Outro Music licensed under CC BY 3.0.